Monday, July 20, 2009

Chisos Mountain Lodge, Big Bend National Park

I'm on the patio outside of the restaurant, the only place with any kind of connection to the rest of the word - Wi-Fi and a pay phone. Cell phones don't work here and there's no phone in our 'cottage'. I forgot to bring my camera, so I'll need to post some pictures later. The mountains are baeatiful as the sun rises. (isn't that true everywhere?) A bird swooped down and grabbed a bug out of the air just in front of me, and a few feet away a humming bird is attacking a the tall flower stalk of an agave plant. Yesterday we hiked to the base of one to the rock cliffs, about 7,000 ft. (I'll need to check my gps) I jammed a finger sliding down a large rock so typing o's and l's is hit and miss.

We drove 2 hours from Marathon (population 400) to get here, 2 hours without cell phone, radio, a gas station, or even a mini-mart. I've never felt quite so isolated. Fortunatly the park has gas station and a small store. We brought, I hope, enough food for the 5 days we will be here. Cooking all of our meals with only a microwave and a charcoal grill will be a challenge.

The bugs are annoying - I guess there are not too many bats in the vicinity...

No comments:

Post a Comment